Sunday, August 24, 2008

Steamy German Summer

Oh, and just a few more things. Just in case you didn't get my Germanfest call to arms, here it is for your viewing pleasure. They think they can push us around, eh? They think they can tell us where to sit, do they? Where the HECK is the corn on the cob? We deserve the Mad Bavarian! We will cook our own spatzle, dammit. The DANK should know better than anyone. You start telling downtrodden people what to do-- they'll suddenly pick some maniacal leader and bodies will start to fill the pits! So, leave our picnic table alone, I say!

You are nothing! They people are EVERYTHING!



And, this weekend was the Steam Engine show. And, once again, I am impressed. It is probably one of my favorite outdoor events. I base this favoritism solely upon the people. Well, okay, the chugging engines and brightly colored farm equipment always tickles me, too. But, I have never been an outdoor event with such a display of grace, manners, and courtsey. I know I am not the norm in my gas mask t-shirt and toaster tattoo, but you'd never know it by the way people treat me. Friendliness from the past middle-aged women serving sloppy joes and smiles from the flea market table manned by the children the system forgot (Amy told her daughter one day she'd have to watch Deliverance to truly understand any references made). When the rain started pouring down and everyone hunkered down in the outdoor kitchen, many people struck up conversations with Matt and I about the girls. And, uncharacteristically, I didn't feel put off or oogled. Ahhh, and who can forget the vague odor of manure in the wind.

Now, I am not being overly romantic about country folk. I know it is simply human to judge others against yourself. But, you know what? Publicly, keep it to yourself. Be polite. Respect the fact that the person in front of you has the same capacity for emotion and even (possiby) knowledge. Just nod your head with a smile and move on. You've got bigger fish to fry, like packing your antique bulldozer up on the trailer or breaking the fingers of the methhead next door who stole your rachet set.

Oh, and I got some goodies at the flea market. Some Christain comics by the same publisher, Spire, of The Cross and the Switchblade. These titles include: Up from Harlem, Live It Up, and On the Road with Andrae Crouch. I also scooped up a New Krofft Supershow comic and The Science Fair Story of Electronics (the discovery that CHANGED the WORLD) comic. I'll put them with the September 1976 issue of Playgirl Kristy bought me until I can properly file them away. Shudder with me. Also, I picked up some LPs, of course. The shining star? Lee Hazelwood's Houston. I like to think of my husband has the best mix of a young Orson Wells and the weirdest parts of Lee Hazelwood... and more. Man, I love Lee Hazelwood. In the same way, but more than, Bobby Goldsboro. I guess there is a physical similarity. But, Lee definitely seems like more of a hardass.

And, the other LPs include The Giants of Country Music, Country Girls Sing Country Songs, Mr. Guitar by Billy Strange (I am pretty sure I already own this), Great Speckle Bird by Roy Acuff and his Smoky Mountain Boys, Here's Loretta Lynn, and a radio program called American Country Countdown dated 5-29-1982.

I guess that's all I have to share right now. Umm, the Borax-honey-sugar-hamburger-grease experiment has rid the house of ants. Thanks, Smith. I am starting a new sweater. My first cable knit. The poppies have overrun my garden like weeds. My longest standing roommate in life, Jason, is in town from Spain. And, he got married. Amy and Pat had their little boy, Hunter "Porkchop" Lord. And, he is beautiful. Danielle and Justus are expecting their first child. She is very ill-- so, I try to make her laugh by making an ass out of myself. And, that's not too hard. Kristy is in Korea. Matt needs a haircut. My mom got another bassette hound. And, no doubt about it, hounds stink. And, last but not least, another brother had a son. The world needs more Sullivan blood. I just hope everything works out for him. Of all of us, I never thought it would be me taking the American Way of Life route. Married with kids in a nicie-nice house. Also, to my horror, I accidentally discovered my daughters enjoy Barney. Why? Why? WHY!!!!

I think it is going to be November tomorrow. I can't keep track.

No comments: