Sunday, August 24, 2008

Get me a bucket-- flu thoughts

Lately, I have an influx of new (yet old) CDs coming into the house: the Stooges, Lee Hazelwood, the Replacements, the Clash, Brigette Bardot, Edith Pilaf, the Beach Boys, Brain in a Box boxset, Yo la Tengo, Luna, Bill Hicks, Stereolab, Life Aquatic S/T, Nick Drake, Sea and Cake, Prince, Calexico, Dave Brubeck, Andrew Bird, John Cale, Delfonics, the Police, the Melvins, the Cars and James Brown. Somehow, ninty-eight percent were free or at severe discount.



There has also been in influx of domestication on my part. I have been keeping the kitchen warm with homemade: chicken potpies, curried pork and apples, Guinness roast beef, spinach/beef lasagna, bacon-corn-cream sauce over scallops and ziti, asparagus with soy and sesame sauce, crispy chocolate chip cookies (that I’ll eat until my tongue hurts), classic German pot roast, kitchen sink salads, french fry pie, and and and... yum.



Let’s not forget about the knitting. Currently I have put my husband’s Bob Dobbs sweater on hold to try my second round at making a hooded pullover for my nephew Hunter. I made it all the way through the pattern once. But, I ran out of yarn on the last sleeve. It was definitely a "Are you fargin' kidding me?" moment. Because I am a pack rat, and used yarn that I bought in Chicago about ten years ago when a shop in Lincoln Park was going out of business, I couldn’t find any more to complete it. They don’t make it anymore. Which, I considered the second "Are you farging kidding me?" moment. And, I refuse to pull some half-assed move like using some other yarn to get by. I am not a get-by-er. Either do it or don’t. But, don’t monkry around. As Kristy Korea would like to hear me say if you’re gonna piss around, you might as well go piss yourself-- hee!



Knitting kudos go out to-- Juliayn "Clancy" Coleman for knitting me the most INCREDIBLE pair of pseudo-hunting socks with hearts EVER!!!! They are of the finest craftsmanship. And, boy! Are they ever comfortable! Inspiring. I wear my jeans severely cuffed (beyond that rock-a-billy style I sport) and am more than happy to slip off my prison issue sneaker to show you the hidden stripes. Just ask. And, super crochet credit goes to Kristy Korea for the stripey blankey she made for the girls. And, it smells like her, too. What a bonus! Also, my little hot dog got all her grant money for her trip to Korea. So, congratulate her if she’ll talk to you.



I finally decided it is okay to use the dishwasher. It doesn’t make my lazy.



And, there are four owls living in the park across the street. And, a male and female cardinal have started to hang out in the tree outside our living room window. And, a HUGE opossum creeps around our back door at night. So tragic looking, but I still wanna see if he’ll hang from my arm by his tail. And, I saw two deer in the neighbor’s front yard. And, I see bunny tracks in the morning. And, the lunar eclipse was cool.



Oh, the ’shrooms! I started the mushroom kit Chelks got me for my birthday. I love it! We have an finished 1950-60’s style basement with an unused shower stall off the laundry room. Perrrrrrrfffffeeeeeecccccttt for my mushrooms. Portabella mushrooms, that is. I keep thinking of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Season 5, Episode 10: Special Delivery Original Air Date: 29 November 1959.Young Tom Fortnam is thrilled when he receives his guaranteed to grow mushroom seeds by special delivery mail. His father Bill is then approached by a friend, Roger, who thinks people are disappearing. Bill isn’t quite sure what to make of it all until Roger’s wife calls him to say that Roger has vanished, as has all of his clothes. When he visits Roger’s house, he sees that Roger’s son, who is the same age as Tom, is also busy growing mushrooms in the basement. Convinced there is a connection, Bill confronts his son - with fantastic results.). I also started some red potatoes. Yes, that is how this Irish girl celebrates St. Patrick’s day. Not by drinking to excess and barfing or getting hit by a car with all the non-Irish ethnic types dressed like clowns. But, by growing potatoes and fungus. Anyone else see the after-the-fact irony in those two choices?



The silverfish are back. I figure that is the cue to start working on that childrens' book. Okay-okay already! I get the message. You don’t have to try and scare me when I get up to use the bathroom at night.



Oh, and dreams. Lots of crazy dreams. Driving rooms that are actually hidden spaceships with the sprinkler systems as the controls. Spaceships flying over my house. Eating donuts in unknown dinors. My cat getting pinched by an over-sized millipede. Trying to move hundreds and hundreds of books and records back home after taking them with me to summer camp (as an adult). Seeing the planet Saturn and all its moons outside my window big as a Harvest moon. And, mystery sales. And, missing trains. And, Juliayn’s broken suitcase zipper. And, Cat Chow having to do community service on subway platforms. And, all you people whom I obviously have unfinished business with and unresolved emotions about... back off! Whew.

No comments: