Sunday, August 24, 2008

Making Your Money Work for You!

Here's my two cents worth, which is probably only worth about 1.00087 cents on any given day depending on the arbitrary gut feeling of some suits on the Market floor.

DO NOT open any accounts at the Erie Community Credit Union (not to be confused with the Erie Federal Credit Union). Today, I called the bank and spoke to a gentleman who provided no reasonable explanation for the following situation. On August 8th, 2008, I had three transactions posted to my account. First being a withdrawl of X, which according to ECCU put my balance into negative numbers. Secondly, a overdraw fee of $25 was inflicted. Thirdly, a deposit of 2X was posted. There are no time stamps on these transactions. They are simply all dated the eighth. Any bank I have dealt with or any bank anyone I have spoken to about this has dealt with experiencing any transactions posted on the same date has deposits coming before withdrawls. However, the bank representative explained that the withdrawl dated 8/8/8 actually went through on 8/7/8. And, the deposit that I actually made on 8/7/8 didn't actually get posted until 8/8/8. Ummm, yeah. That's my point! So, just 'cos the bank felt like accepting a withdrawl before it was actually posted to my account... and didn't really think it mattered that the deposit slip I hold in my hand dated by their machines as 8/7/8 didn't get posted until the following day, I'm out $25. Blood-- pressure-- righ--zing!

Okay, I am not financially illiterate. Actually, the opposite. When I was in seventh grade, I made a hobby out of reading stock quotes because I flirted with being a stockbroker when I wasn't entertaining the idea of being a vampire. I pose this to you: the whole right brain vs. left brain argument is bullshit. I have excelled as a published illustrator, made a living doing graphic arts, and enjoy dipping a creative pen nub now and then. Yet, back in second grade, I learned computer program languages when all data was only stored on cassette tapes. I studied college math in middle school, having a teacher give me a physics book for kicks. I received A's and B's in all my math classes without barely cracking a cover. I loved all my college accounting courses, and thought about dropping my Liberal Art major to become a CPA with a speciality in tax law. Sooooo, don't act like I don't understand the facade of the banking system we have in this country, Mr.Bank Representative.

But, it just isn't the crunching of numbers that leads me to FINALLY close my account at the ECCU. It's the little things like watching the teller clip her nails (all fingers on both hands) in her little cubby while I am the only person standing directly in front of her in the slaughterhouse lines. Or maybe it was when I was depositing a personal check from my husband and had the teller crassly ask me if it was a support check. "Oh, you mean from my babies' daddy," I should have said. But, instead I said in a close to Steve Martin impersonation, "Excccccuuuuseee me?!?!?!" I don't care if it is a personal check from Hilter for all the paintings he bought from me in any Ebay auction. It is none of your DAMNED business! Blood-- pressure-- righ-- zing.

Initially, I had asked to be patched through to the bank manager about the situation. Apparently, Julie was on the phone. I left a voice mail with a detailed account of the situation. Then, I went to hang out with my daughters to eat a ham omelette I had just cooked for all of us. After some hugs and kisses and internal processing, I called Julie back. And, I said, "You know, Julie, I'll just be in tomorrow to close my account." Sounds like I just bent over, huh? Well, I suddenly had a flash back to the years and years and years I didn't have a bank account. The happy years with a little more leg work to get money orders... but happy years all the same. I want those happy times back. So, I cancelled my direct deposit. Don't start scheming to steal any wads of cash hidden in my mattress. Those aren't the wads you'll find in my bed. The majority of my cash goes to the family budget which is locked up at another bank that hasn't pissed me off enough yet.

Am I being too rigid by expecting the 8th of August to be the 8th of August? Not the seventh or the ninth. Or is it completely inflexible of me to consider public records something that should be made readily available to me, a relucant member of the public?

No comments: