Friday, April 20, 2012

The Signs- Markings

Back in 1997, I started what would turn into a "sleeve". A sleeve in the tattoo world is a piece or numerous pieces conjoined to form a shoulder to wrist piece of artwork. Although I am probably consider heavily tattooed and I was even a tattoo artist for a couple of years, I am not into tattoo culture at all. I don't care about others' tattoos. And, piercing grosses me out. I eventually quit tattooing because it seemed more intimate than what I was comfortable with. When you were inflicting pain on people, they talked. They shared. I didn't want them to. I walked away.

I started the tattoo work on my left arm as camouflage. It is easier to have people look at what's on top than what is underneath. More about that some other day. I decided, although many people are judgmental about persons with tattoos (although that has markedly changed over the last fifteen years), it was easier. It wasn't my first tattoo which is a great little story in itself, nor was it the last.

The phrase that began the whole piece, done by a talented woman who become a good friend, was a quote taken from an Edward Gorey book. It read: "When quizzed why she did, she replied, 'To be rid of a strange, overpowering feeling.'" Over the years, I have dealt with many people grabbing my arm trying to read it. This is not only rude, but it is enough to send this Asperger's lady into a white static zone instantly. I don't like to be accidentally bumped into, let alone intentionally grabbed by strangers! Inevitably, people would ask what it meant. And, I never really knew. I would share the source and twist away from the unsolicited conversation.

Today, I know what it means. Every day of my life is filled with numerous instances of strange, overpowering feelings. Now, I know why. Strange can be good, overpowering can be dealt with.

No comments: